Going through the verses of The Lord's Prayer and the section on "forgive us our debts," Willard mentions several key aspects:
- Don't "blunt" the lessons that God is trying to teach others (or ourselves) by taking away natural consequences.
- "...human beings are pitiable creatures that 'walk in a vain show''" so remember God's pity on us, His mercy, and that He understands that we are dust. He then mentions Psalm 103:10-14, which would be a good verse for me to memorize as a needed reminder that it's okay and expected that I will fail, that God has compassion on me and desires that I learn from these errors - that these failures are indeed a principle way in which He can make me more like Himself if I humble myself and yield myself to Him (262).
Psalm 103:10-14
He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is His love for those who fear Him;
As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.
As a father has compassion on His children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him;
For He knows how we are formed, He remembers that we are dust."
Perhaps that is the paramount aspect for me to remember - His love versus my ego-induced belief that He is judging me instead of loving and molding me through my failures. Ironically, it's by acknowledging my limits that I become more like Christ and more impacting for His Kingdom here on earth.
Thank goodness that "The Lord has established His throne in heaven, and His kingdom rules over all" (v. 19), that "all His works [are] everywhere in His dominion. Praise the Lord, O my soul" (v. 22).
Today, this means that I need to examine my recent failings and ask for God's mercy in dealing with some deep-rooted patterns of behavior that drive me crazy! I know that I at times act in people-pleasing vs. objective, godly ways, that I can tend to be jealous or blameful of others, and that I need to have confidence in who He has created me to be and to pursue His desires for me vs. my self-created ones. Trust issues. I'm so grateful that God has shown me these weaknesses, and that He is there to help me in His mercy and understanding, as a Father who knows what is best for His beloved child, and who loves me through my growing pains. Rest in His love; go forward in trust and confidence of His plan - for me and mine.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.